NTFC Strike Information for GEO Members
The strike has been called!
An update from NTFC:
Since our strike authorization vote on April 7th, we are yet to have any response from the Administration regarding our core issues. We voted to authorize a strike to secure access to multi-year contracts, protections for academic freedom, or paths to promotions and clear evaluations. We must stand together and continue to fight!
Non-Tenure Faculty Coalition is calling for a 2-day strike starting tomorrow for the days of Tuesday, April 19th and Wednesday, April 20th. We have all been preparing for this day and now must work to make sure it is a success.
Pickets Tuesday, April 19th and Wednesday, April 20th.
Location: English Building, Main Quad
7:45am-4:30pm- Pickets around English building with a rally at 12pm
4:30pm- March from English to Swanlund Administration Building
5pm- Rally at Swanlund Administration Building
This is our chance to show our united strength and value on our campus.
Regardless of your personal decision with regards to the strike, we hope ALL members will join us on the picket lines to watch and have a strong visual impact. Peak hours will be the 12pm rally (English Building) and 5pm rally (Swanlund Administration Building).
If you have not already done so, reply to this email to sign up to walk with your colleagues, community supporters, and students on the picket line.
Come stand with your colleagues so that we can make this a success and win this contract before our semester runs out.
Christina De Angelo, Dept of Spanish and Portuguese
Strike Committee Chair
Read the GEO statement of support here
How can I support NTFC?
- Don’t scab! (see FAQ below)
- Don’t cross picket lines! If you teach or TA in the English building, move your class (email GEO for assistance). Ask your professors to move your classes out of the English building on the 19th and 20th.
- Walk a picket line! Email GEO to sign up!
- Take a picture with a sign that says, “I stand in solidarity with NTFC” tweet @NTFCLocal6546 with #faircontractnow and #westandwithNTFC6546. Don’t have a Twitter? No problem! Email or Facebook Message your photo to GEO. We’ll post it for you!
- Ask tenure track professors to sign a letter of support (available from GEO).
- Email “I stand in solidarity with NTFC” to <email@example.com>
- Get solidarity statements from any organizations you belong to.
- Sign NTFC’s petition: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/stand-with-uiuc-non-tenure-faculty
Frequently Asked Questions
Feel free to download and distribute this document! If you would like GEO to print some for you, please let us know!